WHAT IS CHIROPRACTIC SERVICE?
Chiropractic is a form of alternative medicine that focuses on a natural approach to treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the belief that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system.
“Chiropractic” comes from the Greek word Chiropraktikos, meaning “done by hand.” Although Chiropractors have many similarities to primary care providers, they are more similar to a medical specialty like dentistry or podiatry.
Chiropractic today is the largest alternative medical profession in the world.
Chiropractors government registered and regulated health professionals. It’s estimated that there are an average 215,000 consultations to Australian chiropractors each week (1)
Chiropractors can specialize in different felids of care such as Sports, Paediatrics, Spinal or Wellness depending on the practitioner’s clinical interests. Chiropractors who have a special interest in Sports Chiropractic usually have further post grad qualification in that field.
According to Sports Chiropractic Australia (SCA) clinic interest group from Chiropractic Association of Australia the following is role delineation f a Sports Chiropractor:
- Sports chiropractic is a branch of chiropractic for those who have a specific interest in working with athletes; a sports chiropractor may possess additional qualifications specific to sport.
- Sports chiropractic is “multi-modal” in nature, incorporating components of passive and active care to address both the acute inflammatory/pain phase, and also the chronic rehabilitation/injury prevention phase.
- As part of a sports medical team, a sports chiropractor will focus on the preventative and maintenance forms of treatment as much as the acute and immediate treatment needs of an athlete.
- A sports chiropractor gives consideration to the hard and soft connective tissues (muscle, tendon, ligament, fascia etc).
- The sports chiropractor has assimilated a large body of clinical information specific to the diagnosis and management of the special needs of those who participate in sport.
- The sports chiropractor focuses upon the acquisition of maximised athletic performance and superior injury management through the application of the highest quality of chiropractic management, treatment, rehabilitation and prevention of the sports related injury.
- The promotion of peak performance in athletes (with appropriate measures of outcome) is a form of wellness care and its pursuit is consistent with the traditional and historical philosophy of chiropractic.
The main chiropractic treatment technique involves manual therapy such as Soft Tissue Therapy, Mobilisation and especially manipulation of the spine, other joints, and soft tissues; treatment may also include Rehabilitation, exercises, nutrition and health and lifestyle counseling.
What do Chiropractors do?
According to CAA, it is defined that Chiropractors are the spinal health experts. Helping to restore proper spinal biomechanics and improved nervous system function. Initially a visit to the Chiropractor begins with a patient’s case history. This gives the chiropractor a background about your health, such as surgeries, accidents, the onset of your condition, and other details affecting your current health.
After reviewing your history and discussing your specific problem, a thorough orthopaedic, neurological, and chiropractic examination including digital postural scan is performed. X-rays may be taken or referred for if necessary to uncover structural and functioning problems associated with the spinal column. These examinations help identify the root cause of the condition and allows the Chiropractor to individually tailor the treatment plant.
The findings of these examinations are explained and a plan of chiropractic adjustments/treatments may be recommended. Progress is monitored with periodical examinations and follow-up reports.
(1. Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2004-2005). National Health Survey: Summary of Results. (No. 4364.0). Canberra, Australian Capital Territory.